Grange Road Student Residences, University of Birmingham
Client Name: University of Birmingham
Role: Cost Manager
RLF were appointed as Cost Manager, responsible for all aspects of cost control, cost reporting, procurement and post contract financial control. To confirm the viability of the project, RLF carried out early benchmarking exercises comparing the initial feasibility estimates against several recently completed Student Residence projects.
The building was designed to create a lively atmosphere at the busy entrance to the campus in addition to student residences, which comprised accommodation for 178 students in self-contained flats. The project also provided a sports pavilion which includes a café and bar overlooking the adjacent pedestrian piazza and changing facilities for the sports pitches.
The residential accommodation has been designed for use both during term time and also for out of term use by visiting sports teams to enliven the site through a greater part of the year.
The new building provides for:
- A GIFA of the residences in the region of 54,800 ft²
- 178 en-suite study bedrooms arranged in 34 flats with eleven of the study bedrooms being designed to be accessible rooms for wheelchair users
- Self-contained en-suite units with own front door for four to six students per flat
- Kitchen/diners with small lounge, laundrette areas, linen store and secure indoor cycle and bin storage areas
- Enclosed accommodation blocks with secure card access systems and CCTV.
The sports pavilion has a GIA of 11,700 ft² and provides changing rooms for the University’s rugby and hockey teams with ancillary facilities together with a café and a bar at first floor level. The facilities provided included:
- Six hockey changing rooms (11 persons)
- Two larger rugby changing rooms (15 person)
- Office with small reception areaGround floor café/kitchen and WCs
- Function room with access to bar, kitchen/servery and WC’s
- Partially covered outdoor terrace with external toilet facilities
- Food preparation area with storage space
- Officials’ changing rooms
- Disabled WC and shower facilities
- Physiotherapy/treatment facilities
- First floor bar and lounge area
- Refuse store and plant room
External areas generally comprised:
- Partially landscaped service yard with access to deliveries by brewers’ dray
- Access for Environment Agency along Bournbrook and ramp from north side of the river
- Six parking spaces for disabled persons
- Raised and planted gardens to the residential blocks